DEADLINE TO ENTER HAS NOW PASSED. STAY TUNED FOR FUTURE OPPORTUNITIES TO PARTICIPATE!
The Bitcoin Weight Loss Challenge is a fun way to motivate yourself to reach your goals while raising Bitcoin for charity. Please review the rules and requirements below to determine your interest and eligibility in this competition. These rules are in place to make the competition as fair as possible and to keep participants honest and accountable. This challenge is meant to be, above all, a fun and positive experience as we support each other in adopting a healthier lifestyle, win or lose.
DEADLINE TO ENTER: Saturday January 18th, 2014
LENGTH: 12 weeks. Starting Monday January 20, 2014 and ending on Monday April 14, 2014.
PARTICIPATION FEE: 0.1 BTC, which is due by midnight PST on the first day of the challenge, 1/20/14. Fees will be split 50/50: 0.05 BTC will be placed into the prize pool and 0.05 BTC will be placed in the charity pool*. You must declare your chosen Bitcoin charity when you enter. The more people who participate, the bigger the prize and the bigger donation your designated chairty will receive should you win! If you do not own any bitcoin, and would like to participate, you can easily create a wallet on Coinbase or purchase bitcoin locally through LocalBitcoins.
CHALLENGE: The top 3 contestants to lose the highest percentage of their body weight will win a portion of the prize pool. An equal portion of the charity pool will be donated to the winner’s chosen Bitcoin charity in their name. Distribution will be as follows:
- 1st Place Winner: Receives 40% of the Prize Pool and 40% of the Charity Pool will be donated to their chosen Bitcoin charity.
- 2nd Place Winner: Receives 35% of the Prize Pool and 35% of the Charity Pool will be donated to their chosen Bitcoin charity.
- 3rd Place Winner: Receives 25% of the Prize Pool and 25% of the Charity Pool will be donated to their chosen Bitcoin charity.
REQUIREMENTS: You must be 18 years old to participate, could stand to lose a few pounds, and be willing to engage in weekly discussions in our private support forum. Yes, you will be asked to submit before/after pictures, weight, and videos which will be posted to private group in order to maintain eligibility, but your information will never be shared publicly without expressed permission. Weekly standings will be posted here on this website with your progress represented by percentage lost only.
PARTICIPATION: In order to remain an eligible contestant throughout this challenge, the following will be expected of you:
- Submit 3 “Before” pictures and a “Starting weight” video on the first day of the challenge. You will receive specific instructions on how to do so once you’ve entered and paid your fee.
- Every Monday, you will submit a “weekly weigh-in” video to verify your progress, and you will enter your results on Thintopia. If there are any discrepancies with your submissions, you may be asked to re-submit a new video.
- You must use the same scale and wear the same outfit on weigh-in days throughout the duration of the competition. You are allowed to miss no more than 2 weigh-ins, after which you will be disqualified.
- You are encouraged to actively participate in discussions on the MyFitnessPal Bitcoin Weight Loss Challenge group. It is a private group that only contestants will have access to. MyFitnessPal is a great resource for keeping track of your daily food intake and exercise. Above all, we are here to support and encourage one another!
- At the end of the challenge, you will submit 3 “After” pictures and a “Final weight” video which will be used to determine the winners of the challenge.
- All pictures and videos will be verified by including a single-page print-out in the shots that will be sent to contestants the morning of each Monday (this is in lieu of using newspapers, “shoe-on-head”, etc.)
*Prize and Charity Pools will be held in the following escrowed Bitcoin address: 12FYnnUp3booJFHB48AvYD9dhGCyAsDzH6, maintained by BCB, an appointed #Bitcoin-OTC Web of Trust member. Upon completion of the challenge, they will transfer the Bitcoin to the designated winners and their chosen charities. You can verify BCB’s WOT ratings here.